The Bookselling Landscape
After successful completion the student will receive a SABA completion Certificate.
Bookselling is a calling, which makes it rather nebulous to explain to others, or to put structure to it. One cannot open a successful bookshop by following a formula. Why then this course? View it perhaps as a way to secretly find out all those facts about the trade you never knew existed, or a way to take that next step that will see you play a larger role. The course writers spent years in the trade before they could see the landscape in full – here you have it neatly presented in nutshell form.
In this course participants will learn to:
- An understanding of the history and context to bookselling in South Africa
- Familiarity with key players in the industry
- Sense of the dynamics that influence bookselling – both local and international
- Picture of the current bookselling landscape, both challenges and opportunities
- Bookselling – The Basics
- A Context of Bookselling
- History of Bookselling
- The Start of Bookselling in South Africa
- Chain Bookselling – Exclusive Books and others
- School Bookselling
- Academic Bookselling
- The Digital Revolution
- International Bookstores
- Current Landscape
- Current Hot Topics in the World of Books
- Final Assignment
Your Lecturer for this online course: The Bookselling Landscape
Batya Bricker has been in the booktrade for close on 20 years. She worked for Exclusive Books for 13 years, in the role of strategic marketing manager for the group, as it grew from 9 stores to over 50. She is now an independent book consultant and publisher, book festival co-ordinator and manager of all manner of word-related projects.
Still have a question?
Feel free to browse our FAQ section by clicking the button below.