After the successful completion of the programme, the student will receive a certificate (NQF level 5) issued and endorsed by the UFS. Recognition to the Higher Certificate in Management Development is available.
In order to understand Industrial Relations it is necessary to have a firm grasp of Labour Law and how it is applied. During this course we will firstly focus on the legal principals and legislation before we look into the method of applying different aspects thereof practically in the workplace.
Labour Relations, is still as extremely important in South Africa as in the rest of the world and plays an important part in assisting businesses perform competitively by creating valuable and constructive relations between Employers and Employees.
With the financial uncertainty over the last couple of years and the negative impact it has had on economic growth, Industrial Relations will continue to play an important role in preventing labour unrest and disruptions. Employees will also rely heavily on their trade unions to protect them from excessive lay-offs and to ensure fair labour practices in the workplace.
In this programme participants will learn to:
- Understand and describe the concept of labour relations in writing by reflecting on its nature as of cardinal importance in modern industrialised society.
- Understand and apply the theory of unfair dismissal and unfair practice in the organisation.
- Understand and apply disciplinary and grievance procedures.
- Differentiate between types of bargaining and distinguish the sub-processes of collective bargaining.
- Reflect on the personality and skills dimension a negotiator should have.
- Labour Relations and the Legalistic Framework
- Unfair Dismissal and the Unfair Labour Practice
- Procedures in Labour Relations
- Negotiation Skills
Your Lecturer for this online Programme: Labour Relations
Labour Law Attorney
Martie Bloem obtained her LL.B degree at the University of the Free State in 2003 and was admitted as an attorney of the High Court in 2004. She also obtained a Certificate in an Advanced Course in Labour Law (cum laude) at the University of the Free State in 2007.
She specialized in labour law since 2005 and gained extensive experience as a labour law consultant at a large labour consulting firm. She is currently a practicing attorney who deals exclusively with labour related matters and a part-time senior Lecturer at the University of the Free State.
Still have a question?
Feel free to browse our FAQ section by clicking the button below